Students of University of Nigeria living in greenhouse area have complained about lack of transportation from greenhouse down to the school.
So many students and workers coming inside the school from greenhouse area have to treak a long distance through a lonely road or beg for lifts from strangers passing with vehicles. We have gotten reports on several occasions of students who were rubbed along that road.
Some of these cultists hang around this area laying ambush on pedestrians.
A student complained that he has been chased twice along that road while heading home.
A lecturer at the department of philosophy, Mr Dennis Odo narrated his personal experience as a regular user of the road. According to Mr Odo, as early as 7 AM, students are already at the gate waiting for someone to give them a lift to school, but because of the huge number of people waiting for a lift at the same time, it would be impossible to pick every student at the same time, so some of these students would have to wait there till 9 AM before they get a lift down to school, and when these students want to go back home they still need to wait for another lift.
Mr Odo shared that on one of his journeys he saw a local man leading a little child along that road, and onsidering the age difference as the man was old enough to be her grandfather, stopped them and questioned both parties thoroughly before letting them go.
This is a huge security concern and something should be done about it as soon as possible.
Some of the challenges facing pedestrians traveling along this area include
- Students come in late for their lectures.
- Students go home late and don’t get enough time to read and prepare for the next day.
- It is not safe to enter a stranger’s car especially considering the current security threats.
- people could be molested, kidnapped or rapped along that road.
- Students get to class feeling tired after a stressful walk.
Some of the benefits of bringing shuttle to the area include the following
- Students will be able to make it to their classes on time.
- Students will be able to get home early and prepare for the next day.
- There will be lowe risk of kidnapping, rubbery and rape.
- There will be more vehicle movement making the road less lonely.
- Students get to their classes more energized.
I will like to plead with the university community and the S.U.G to look for solutions and how to immediately come to the rescue of these students living in greenhouse and bring shuttle to greenhouse.
By Ugochukwu Ogoke
Do you have any suggestions, story, gists and issues you’d like to be addressed? Write us an email firstname.lastname@example.org or contact 08137960837